On September 14, the Government of Ontario released regulations and guidance requiring proof of vaccination to enter recreation facilities. The City of Markham will be moving forward with additional measures for all visitors, in accordance with provincial regulations.
Earlier today, the City of Markham released a statement outlining its proof of vaccination plan. Starting September 22, proof of full vaccination will be required to enter indoor recreation facilities by all visitors – including your coaches, game officials, workers and volunteers – who are 12 years of age and older. Proof of vaccination will be required
each time you enter the facility. Provincially defined medical exemptions apply
When entering, you must show:
- Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccination receipt or other government issued vaccination record indicating that you are fully vaccinated, plus 14 days from your second shot;
- Identification which includes name and date of birth (photo ID is not required); and,
- Proof of completion of City of Markham COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire on your mobile device or a printed copy.
Youth athletes who are 11 years of age or under are exempt from showing proof of vaccination.
We recognize the effort that is made by our community to roll up their sleeves and get vaccinated, and that youth between the ages of 12 to 17 have only recently been eligible to receive their COVID-19 vaccines. To support our community sport groups that are governed by a recognized Provincial or National Sport Organization, the City of Markham has made the following guidelines for youth athletes:
- As of September 22, youth athletes between the age of 12 to 17 years of age must show proof that they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the World Health Organization
- By October 31, 2021, all youth athletes age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated, plus 14 days from their second shot to gain access to indoor recreation facilities
Throughout the pandemic, the City of Markham has taken a balanced and cautious approach to reopening in order to help keep our community safe.
Requiring all visitors who are 12 years of age and older to be vaccinated provides safer sport and recreation experiences that support mental, emotional and physical well-being and keep our community safe. The health and safety of our visitors, community and our staff remains our number one priority as we navigate the pandemic.
As of today, 71.9% of individuals aged 12 to 17 in York Region have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and 81.5% have at least one dose.
Vaccines are safe, effective and are the best way to protect yourself and others from serious illness. For more information about how to get vaccinated, visit york.ca/covid19vaccine.
Markham’s Contact Centre continues to respond to inquiries about municipal services and programs at [email protected] and 905.477.5530, Monday to Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM.
For more information and updates about COVID-19 and affected City services, visit markham.ca/covid19.