A Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) is required of all rostered team officials and all other team volunteers who engage in on-ice activities. A PVSC obtained for another organization or employer is not valid for the Markham Waxers. Team volunteers who are not rostered or involved in on-ice activities, such as treasurer, are not required to obtain a PVSC.
If a team official’s gender and date of birth matches someone in the YRP/RCMP database, he/she will be fingerprinted to process the PVSC. The YRP will waive the fingerprinting fee if the applicant presents a letter on Waxers letterhead verifying that the team official is a volunteer with the Markham Waxers.
PVSC fingerpting processing can take weeks and a team official cannot be rostered until the PVSC is completed—start the process early!
PVSC are valid for two seasons and expire on August 31 two seasons after the PVSC was issued. For example, a PVSC issued on August 31, 2021, December 31, 2021, or February 15, 2022 will all expire on August 31, 2023.
- Rep team bench staff must have an up-to-date PVSC on file in the Waxers office before they can be rostered.
- House league volunteers must have an up-to-date PVSC on file in the Waxers office no later than November 1.
Reimbursement of PVSC Fee
The association covers the cost of Police Vulnerable Sector Check for all rostered volunteers. Reimbursement will be issued directly to each volunteer when a completed Waxers Reimbursement Form is submitted to the Waxers administrator by the November 1 deadline and an updated PVSC has been submitted and verified. While the association reimburses for the cost of the PVSC, we do not reimburse for fingerprinting fees if you fail to obtain a volunteer letter to waive the fees.
How to Obtain a PVSC
York Region Residents
- Request a letter that identifies you as a volunteer for the Waxers and allows the York Regional Police (YRP) to charge you at the volunteer rate and, if required, waive any fingerprinting fees.
- Apply for a PVSC online via the York Regional Police website.
- YRP will notify you when your PVSC is ready for download (if your identify was verified online) or pick up (if they were not able to verify your identity online.
- Submit the original PVSC (hard copy) to the Waxers office or email the PDF with QR code to [email protected].
Volunteers Residing Outside of York Region
If you live outside of York Region, you must apply for a PVSC with the regional police in your municipality.
Residents of the Durham Region must apply online.
- Complete the online form to request the Waxers program number you will need to apply for a PVSC from the city of Toronto.
- After completing the form, a confirmation page will appear with the program number and a link to the Toronto PVSC information page.
- Apply for a PVSC with the City of Toronto.
- Share the PVSC with the Waxers at [email protected].