The Hockey Development Program (HDP) operates and encompasses the Coach Mentorship Program and the Player Development Program. The mission of the HDP is to provide the support and resources necessary to aid in the successful development and continued learning of all of our coaches and players as members of the Markham Minor Hockey Association. The HDP runs under the direction of the HDP director, Michael Gouglas. Mike oversees all aspects related to the program and communicates these operations to the Executive. The HDP consists of Coach Mentors, Instructors, and Volunteers.
The HDP works in partnership with the Ontario Minor Hockey Association and Hockey Canada. Whenever possible, the HDP uses resources and programs available through these governing bodies executing them at the local level.
- Offer development clinics during the fall and winter
- Offer specialty clinics in the spring season
- Work closely with Hockey Canada in preparation for new programs and accreditations being rolled out in the near future
- Schedule Coach Seminars throughout the season
- Long-Term Hockey Development Program Goals
- Be one of the first associations to be recognized by Hockey Canada as an example of how mentorship and player development can be successful at the local level
- Prepare for the new Hockey Canada programming and NCCP certification
- Continue to recruit high-calibre individuals who are committed to contributing to the success of minor hockey in Markham
- Realize the impact the program has had in our younger age groups (2000, 2001 and 2002)
- Realize better player and coach retention throughout the association
- Continue to promote Markham Minor Hockey Association as one of the premier destinations for young, talented players and coaches